Sunday, August 21, 2011

Birthday Party Prep!

Baking the cake.


FIRST: Let me just say, if you ever need to make a cake in a pinch but don't have a cake mix check on the back of your Hershey's Cocoa box, there is an awesome recipie for "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake and "Perfectly Chocolate" Frosting and they are oh so yummy! The cake is really moist and the frosting is to chocolatey!!

SECOND: When you plan on making a double layer cake like this with the rounds MAKE SURE you grease them up good and flour really good or else you will have to make another batch of cake like I did!! One of my first Rounds I did came out in a couple pieces!

THIRD: That cream in the middle is Vanilla pudding. It's pretty tasty, but I don't know that I will make a cake like that again. I just think the cake devoured the taste of the pudding, almost as if it weren't even there.

moving on...




FOURTH: Creating the DECOR... Can you tell what it's going to be? If anyone reading this has any tips for creating structures with better frosting I am all ears. I used a Royal frosting recipe that had 4 egg whites, 4 cups powdered sugar and a little cream of tartar, but as you can see in the picture below, the frosting was "leaking" down in between the oreos.



Let me tell you the bulid up of this contraption though. There is one full graham cracker on the bottom for some stability, then 2 HUGE marshmellows on top of that with a cut wooden kabob stick holding them together. On the 2 marshmellows is another full graham cracker. (by the way: in between all the layers is a little bit of the frosting to hold it all together) Then, as you can see in the picture, 3 HUGE marshmellows held together with another kabob stick, I think after that I put the oreos on to keep the thing stable. And I really had to GOB the frosting on the oreos to get them to stick onto the marshmellows, partly because they weren't clear to the edge or the graham cracker. Then I "glued" two half graham crackers to the sides and one on top. Then make cake round that fell apart came in handy for the curved structure at the top!













Of course, the boys got to enjoy "helping" me make the cake too!


What a CUTE face!?



Baby Karston was just chillin'



And the finished product!... technically: I added some red frosting around where the cake was separating on the side because of the pudding in the middle.

Frosting this sucker was probably the most diffucult part. That frosting was too runny if I didn't add more sugar after adding the food coloring. For his chimney, I guess you call it?, I used 3 mini chareston chews and I'm sure you've figured out the red stuff is licorice, I used twizzlers. Also I had to stick a kabob stick on each side and the back to stablize it on the cake.

(The mess of black frosting and twizzlers in the front was a mistake, pretty much just made it up as I went. Phil said it was a nice railroad track. ;)
Bet you didn't guess it was going to be Thomas!

3 comments:

Jess Mangum said...

Im guessing that you didnt mix the royal icing right.. its very touchy when it comes to mixing.. its normaill a very stiff frosting unless it is deluted with water on purpose?!

Jess Mangum said...

but it turned out cute! I wouldnt have been able to throw all that together ha. I would have just gone and got cake mixes..

Cami and Phil said...

YeS I think I must mix it wrong because I have used that same recipe before and it seemed to turn out the same way, I didn't add any water though. Oh well!

Followers